29 April 2005

A very good movie

We (Netty, Aaron, and I) went last night to see Sin City. I'd been wanting to see it for a while and I'm glad I did. That movie is cool. I'd wanted to see it because of the style, which is a dark, comic book noir-ish kind of thing--the same kind of style I've had in mind for writing a Necromunda novel. (And coincidentally, there was a Vega's gang in this movie--it was awesome.) Most of the shots looked like panels straight from a comic book, from the framing to the lighting to the use of color. And they filtered/CG'd it so that a lot of the movie looks hand-drawn. Besides just looking cool, the storyline was entertaining and twisted, and the characters were complicated when they needed to be and stupid, gun-toting brutes when they needed to be.
Talking to Netty about it afterward, I realized you could watch this movie twenty times, watching for something different each time. For example, most of the movie is in almost-black-and-white, with certain things in color (blood, for one thing). The interesting (and puzzling) thing is the eyes--certain characters, at certain times, have colored eyes. It seemed to be just women, but it wasn't all of them...I don't know, but I could watch the movie again just looking to figure that out. And there are a dozen other things like that.
I can't recommend it for everyone, because I don't think everyone would appreciate the style they're going for. And it's violent. Very violent. That didn't bother me in the least, but... Anyway, if you do see it, I'd suggest going into it with an open mind. Watch it for the movie that it is, not all the movies that it isn't. Of course, that's my advice for all movies. And it's a good thing to keep in mind, considering H2G2 comes out today...

1 comment:

hockeyfrog said...

I was kind of shocked when Aaron said you guys saw this movie (especially after I had said "oh hey I want to see that.." after seeing a preview on TV when it was first released, and Aaron was all "You can go without me then..."), because for some reason, I didn't think it'd be the type of movie my friends would go to. My parents went and saw it a couple weekends ago as well. I'm glad everyone enjoyed it for what it is (I'm guessing, since I haven't seen it?), and not what is IN it. (Long story about that, but some of my former work friends found some Christian Parents group that was all about criticizing movies to the fullest about why we shouldn't watch them, outlining every minutely bad to very bad thing in it... and essentially the reader is told, in different words anyway, that if you watch this movie you're going to hell.. *shrugs*) I definitely wanted to see it for the cinematography, as well as the storyline. With the positive comments, it's going on my "to rent" list.