23 December 2005

I should really go to bed, but...

...just as soon as you find something cool on the internet, you find something better. Or, at least, just as good. In this case, it's Netvibes. Like Protopage, minus the customization options, but plus a few built-in features like weather (though I expect one could simply snag an RSS from weather.com or somesuch and use it in Protopage [Update: one can do so]) and Writely compatiblity, which are somewhat useful. The one selling point for me is the ability to import favorites from your home compy--a nice feature since portable favorites is one of the reasons I might use one or the other of these sites. In the long run, I think Protopage might be the spiffier program (well, not really a program, i guess...), because they're likely to pick up the extra features that Netvibes has. They just came out with a new version, and are already hard at work on the next one, and are taking suggestions. Ok, so now that I've rambled about it for a bit, I've decided that Netvibes isn't all that great...but that import feature sure is nice... In any case, if you're new to the world of Ajax-based internet desktops like I am, now you know of at least two options.
Now I believe I will go to bed [Update: I didn't, but I will now, I swear].

No comments: